A blog by spcaLA president, Madeline Bernstein

Jan 28, 2015

Animal People Are Not Humorless

Courtesy Google Images
There was a great rage and fuss raised over a GoDaddy Super Bowl ad involving the selling of a puppy on line. GoDaddy responded by pulling the ad and assuring the public that the dog was adopted by a member of the GoDaddy team.

What disturbed me was the other reaction by the public that animal people are humorless.

I can say that is not true of me and most of my colleagues. It is my undying belief that, unless there is actual harm or criminal activity, everyone has a right to be offensive, write stupid copy and voice their opinions. We have the power to not watch, not buy and not vote for the proponents of those ideas and things we don't like.

Most of us are not humorless ideologues. To those who are or who can't separate the make believe from the real I say this: Beware of advocating content based censorship in regard to things you don't like, as someone else will censor the things you do like.

So, laugh, enjoy, and be glad you are not the person responsible for that ad!



No comments:

Post a Comment